During recent years, the concept of migrating from a carnivorous diet to a plant-based one has become more ideal and accessible to the masses. With tons of new products, such as plant-based meat substitutes, being introduced to the public, switching from one diet to another without meats, dairy, or other processed foods is becoming much easier for those with specific eating patterns and palette preferences.
In previous decades, the offering of meat/dairy/gluten-free products in a regular grocery store was miniscule compared to today. Additionally, making the switch appeared to have a greater impact on your wallet. This made people hesitant to change the way they eat. However, nowadays it is easy to find healthy, plant-based alternatives to your favorite products, making it much easier to make a change in one’s diet.
If the idea of living a healthier lifestyle or saving the world isn’t appealing enough, there are a variety of other benefits that come along with following a plant based diet.
Having a hard time making the switch? Well it’s time to listen up, because today we are going to look at 5 reasons why a plant-based diet is beneficial to your health and the world around you!
1.It supports your immune system:
- Unlike other foods, plants provide you with essential nutrients such as phytochemicals and antioxidants. These nutrients are able to help maintain a strong immune system and keep your cells healthy.
- With a healthy immune system, the chances of infection or contracting or other serious diseases are greatly reduced.
2.It can help maintain a healthy weight:
- By eating plants and plant-based products exclusively, you are getting rid of many foods which lead to weight gain. Additionally, exercising regularly while maintaining a plant-based diet can lead to strong (and better!) results in weight loss.
- Staying at a healthy weight also reduces the risk of cancer. Extra weight can result in inflammation and hormonal imbalances, and can increase the risk of receiving 12 different types of cancer.
- Coconut Cloud’s creamers and coffees are a great example of plant-based products with organic and beneficial ingredients, all while maintaining a great taste. So ditch that dairy in your morning cup of joe and opt for plant based!
3.It can help your digestive system:
Every unprocessed plant food has fiber present in its “ingredients”. By eating more fiber, you open yourself up to a variety of benefits:
- You are able to absorb nutrients much better
- You are able to reduce inflammation in your digestive tract
- You can lower your cholesterol
- You can stabilize your blood sugar
- You can reduce your chance of getting colorectal cancer.
4.You can help to reduce the impacts of climate change:
- By switching to a plant-based diet, you can help benefit the environment. According to the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, researchers found that food is responsible for up to 30 percent of total greenhouse gas emissions. With that, it is reported that animal products accounted for the vast majority - about three-quarters - of those effects.
- The report projected that “vegan and vegetarian diets were associated with the greatest reductions in greenhouse-gas emissions.”
5.You can save animal and plant habitats:
- Around one third of arable land in the entire world is used for animal agriculture - to feed pigs, cattle, and chickens which are later consumed by humans. Deforestation and desertification have happened as a result of animal agriculture, which has been a contributing factor towards endangering a variety of plants and species.
- You can contribute in decreasing such effects by switching to a plant-based diet.
If you are already on a plant-based diet or are considering switching to one, these reasons should be enough to show you why they are so great! Now go ahead and get on out there - make yourself feel good and change the world at the same time!