Did you know that creamer is not just for coffee? You can also use it to make decadent treats like these paleo-ish, vegan, and gluten-free banoffee bars! The Coconut Cloud Vanilla Creamer helps create the gooey caramel layer on top of the simple shortbread crust. Finish it off with chocolate and you have a dreamy dessert!
Ingredients for Banana Caramel Bites:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- sea salt
- 1 packet of vanilla coconut cloud creamer - 1 mashed ripe banana
- 1 banana (sliced for layering on shortbread, not in caramel)
Chocolate (courtesy of @beamingbaker):
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- ¼ cup paleo vegan chocolate chips
- Mix the shortbread ingredients until the mixture is crumbly but holds its shape.
- Spread and tightly pack on a lined 9x9 pan. Poke a few holes with a fork.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on wire rack.
- Combine coconut milk, coconut sugar and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Carefully bring to a boil then immediately lower the temperature to a light simmer. Simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sauce has turned a dark amber & has thickened to coat the back of a spoon, remove from the heat and stir in the creamer, a mashed banana & a bit more salt to taste.
- Allow the caramel to cool, nearly to room temperature.
- Layer sliced bananas over the cooled shortbread. Pour caramel over the bananas and pop bars in the freezer until caramel layer has hardened.
- Add chocolate ingredients into a microwave safe bowl. Heat up in 15-20 second increments until slightly melted (maybe 2-3 increments) and stir in between increments. Stir until smooth.
- Pour atop hardened caramel & shortbread bars. Pop bars back into the freezer until hardened. These bars are delicious out of the freezer, but they’re also good softened in the fridge ( a little messier but so decadent)!
Recipe by Beija Faira.
Connect with Beija on Instagram.