Mummy Cookies (Vegan, Gluten Free)
Recipe credit: Godairyfree.org
We LOVE this seasonal, Halloween-themed recipe from Go Dairy Free, and it’s totally allergen and vegan friendly! This is also a very QUICK and EASY recipe, using pre-made, allergen friendly cookies as the base.
**PRO TIP: Swap out the 4 teaspoons of non-dairy milk for 1 single serve packet of Coconut Cloud creamer mixed with 4 teaspoons of hot water. It’s an easy shortcut to avoid buying a whole gallon of liquid nut milk just for one recipe!
Image credit Godairyfree.org
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips & a few additional for eyes (try Enjoy Life Mini Chips)
- ½ Tablespoon coconut oil
- 12 allergy-friendly crunchy sugar cookies (we used 1 box Enjoy Life Sugar Crisp Crunchy Cookies)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt the chocolate chips with the coconut oil (short intervals in the microwave works great), and whisk until smooth.
- Dip the tops of the cookies in the chocolate (go ahead, get your hands chocolaty!), letting excess drip off . Turn them right side up onto a wire rack or sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.
- Place the cookies in the refrigerator while you make the icing.
- Add the powdered sugar to a mixing bowl and drizzle in the vanilla extract. Add the non-dairy milk (or your Coconut Cloud mixture!), 1 teaspoon at a time, until you get a thick, but slightly drizzly icing. You might need just 3 teaspoons or you might need 5. We used exactly 4 teaspoons.
- Place the icing in something with a narrow opening for piping. We love using squeeze bottlesand bought ones like these at the grocery store.
- Take the cookies out of the refrigerator once the chocolate is set.
- Pipe two icing dots on each cookie for the eyes. Press a mini chocolate chip, upside down, in the center of each icing eye.
- Pipe icing across the cookies in a random fashion like mummy bandages.
- Store in a single layer until ready to serve. They should keep at room temperature too.