This recipe uses some great, store bought hacks/shortcuts, so you can get throw this together quickly and easily but still be the hero for all your dairy free and vegan friends with this beautiful and impressive dessert. Enjoy!
- 1 vegan pie crust (you can make your own or we love a store bought one! Check the refrigerated or freezer section in your favorite natural foods store for this).
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3 TBS warm water mixed with 1.5 TBS Coconut Cloud Vanilla coconut milk creamer powder in a small dish
- 2/3 cup vegan sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ tsp coconut extract
- ¼ cup unsalted vegan butter
- Whipped cream topping* (*recipe here) or you can buy this in the frozen section of the supermarket.
-For the pie crust – you can either make your own or use store bought. We use store bought in this recipe and just blind back it before hand. To blind bake the prepared crust, simply poke a few holes in the unbaked crust using a fork. Line the inside of the crust with parchment paper and top it with 2 cups of dried beans or a pie weight. Bake the crust according to the package directions/temperature until just golden brown. If you can, let it cool completely and chill overnight before filling – it will give you a better overall pie filling and consistency once it’s all put together.
-To make the filling: In a saucepan, add the coconut milk, Coconut Cloud creamer mixture, and salt over medium heat. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes and then reduce your heat to medium low.
-In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and then just ½ cup of your heated coconut milk mixture from the saucepan. Then slowly whisk this mixture back into the main saucepan (this is the thickening agent).
-Let the saucepan mixture slowly simmer and thicken, and then add in your shredded coconut, butter, vanilla, and coconut extract.
-Pour your warm filling into your cooled pie crust and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours until set and thick.
-Make your vegan whipped cream topping (or use the store bought one!) and dollop it all over the top of your pie, leaving a little edge around to see the filling. Add toasted coconut on top to garnish (optional).